OHB Sweden is working on several scientific and earth observation spacecraft missions. These include chasing a pristine comet, improving weather forecasts by atmospheric measurements, understanding the changes in our environment… These are just an extract of the purposes of some of our projects. Our customers are the major space companies and agencies in Europe and globally.
OHB Sweden is very successful in selling its sub-systems and satellites. We are growing, increasing our staff by more than 50%, doubling the size of our facilities and doubling our revenues in two years. We are an enthusiastic team, solution and customer oriented.
As Head of Engineering, you will greatly contribute to the success of our company.
The Head of Engineering and Technology is overall responsible for the Engineering activities, the definition and implementation of the R&D and Technology Roadmap and is a member of the company’s Management Team. The position is a key function in the company with impact on many areas, including the financial standing and image of the company. OHB Sweden being active on very competitive markets, it is essential that the improvement of the efficiency and effectiveness of the engineering activities contributes to the product competitiveness.
As member of the company management team, you are collectively responsible for the successful development of OHB Sweden.
The Head of Engineering and Technology has line manager responsibility for seven technical departments with around 70 people in total.
The engineering activities cover mainly all engineering disciplines linked to our products:
- Systems engineering
- Onboard and ground software
- Mechanical and thermal engineering
- Electrical engineering
- Attitude and Orbit Control Systems
- Ground segments and Satellite Operations engineering
- Propulsion engineering.
- Ensure that the engineering performance meets the business objectives and operational needs in terms of cost, quality and delivery targets of the projects and the company
- Develop the team competences, methodologies, tools and processes in line with the business needs.
- In line with the company objectives, define and agree the objectives of the different departments and monitor the progress
- Ensure a proper resource planning for the engineering organization to staff in a proper way all on-going activities. Especially ensure critical mass in the critical competence areas.
- Development of the human resources in the technical departments through appropriate personal development measures
- Contribute to the maintenance and development of the company Quality Management System
- Ensure the progress and completion of internal R&D projects under the responsibility of the technical departments
- Survey of the market, customers, suppliers and competitors in terms of technology developments
- In line with the Company and Product strategies, define the technology roadmap for OHB Sweden products and services together with the Product Managers
- Coordinate R&D roadmaps with our major partners in the supply chain/customers to ensure an alignment of efforts towards the improvement of our products
- Identify the expertise areas within OHB Sweden, which can be used in the frame of tiger teams to fix major technical issues in a short period of time or who could support major project customer reviews.
- Lead internal technical reviews of our projects
- Ensure the lessons learned are implemented by the technical departments
- Contribute to the overall business strategy and annual budget process
Your work experience:
You have at least 10 years of experience in different engineering and technical functions in a high-technology manufacturing company, preferably in the Aerospace or Defense industry or similar.
You have several years of experience as line manager in similar organizations.
You are used to work in the frame of international collaboration and in a project driven context.
- Master’s degree in Engineering or similar
- Strong knowledge of product development roadmaps and systems engineering standards.
- Very good understanding of aerospace technical disciplines
Your personal characteristics:
You are best suited for the position if the following are in your personality and way of working:
- Strong leadership skills
- Analytical skills and ability to understand technical issues
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally across diverse disciplines
- A drive for competitiveness and operational excellence
- Focus to deliver on schedule and budget
You need to be fluent in English, both spoken and written. Swedish is an advantage but not a must.